Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What Can We Learn From Hot Skateboarders?

brandon bs 180Image by MattLaws via Flickr

Ever heard of Tony Hawks, Ryan Sheckler or Anthony Shetler? They're popular names around my house.

You see, my grandson is really into the whole skateboard scene and the hot skateboarders I've just mentioned are just 3 of his idols.

Now for those of you who aren't skateboard enthusiasts let me tell you that most pro skateboarders are not only talented skateboarders, they're also pretty smart. They've taken their passion for something that wasn't widely known about a few years ago and helped turn it into a multi-million dollar industry.

Here's what I mean.

Tony Hawks - Retired Pro Skateboarder / Hawk Clothing
As a child Tony Hawks was considered a "troubled kid" so his parents had him psychologically evaluated and discovered he was "gifted". Tony took up skateboarding because he found it was something he liked and could focus on which helped turn him into the world's most recognizable skateboarder today. He's now retired from skateboarding and has established the Tony Hawk Foundation.

Steve Caballero - Pro Skateboarder / Artist:
Steve was born with scoliosis which made his head tilt to one side. He is also an active in artist and produces more than just new skateboard deck designs. His determination to overcome his disability was proven when he became a successful pro skateboarder and when he skated at the closing ceremonies at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia.

Danny Way - Pro Skateboarder / Co-Founder of DC Shoe Co USA
Danny's father died when he was 8 months old and for most of his childhood he had a single parent. In 1995 he broke his neck surfing and in 2000 he had his first knee surgery. (He's had 7.) Neither the lack of a parent during his childhood or his previous injuries stopped him from jumping the Great Wall of China (first non-motorized jump of wall in history) in 2005.

Will my grandson be able to make his dream of being a pro skateboarder come true?

I don't know although he has learned a very important lesson for life and that is: he must be determined and overcome obstacles to make his dream come true. You see, he lives in an area where there are no skate parks or instructors and he has no place to practice except on broken up sidewalks and badly maintained brick streets. And yet he still holds onto his dream by learning tricks from YouTube videos and practicing for several hours a day.

So what can we as internet marketers learn from my grandson and the hot skateboarders I've mentioned?

How about:

  • Ryan Sheckler (at 13 he was the youngest skateboarder to go pro until this year when an 11 year old amazed everyone)
    "Don’t ever give up. You gotta keep trying, and never give up."
  • Anthony Shetler (grew up as a ghetto little kid with no friends)
    "Find something that makes you happy and hang on to it."
  • Dan MacFarlane (started Mentality Skateboards in 2003)
    "The only limits you have are the limits you set on yourself."

I think Daniel Haney a retired pro skateboarder summed it up when he gave this advice for underdogs trying to make it in the pro skateboarding game:

"First of all of if you aren’t doing it for love then you need to rethink what you are doing. Some people have talent and that is great. I am sure it is much easier for them. I, on the other hand, am not naturally gifted. ... I worked my a** off to get to where I got. I did it because skateboarding was my life. There was nothing else. ... I sure as h*** wasn’t going to give up on following my dreams. No matter who told me it wouldn’t happen, Todd. So with that being said, if you have some talent and a lot of heart make that s*** work for you. Never say die. It is all possible, trust me. I came from nothing and made something. Granted it wasn’t much but it was enough to make me happy and in the end that is all that really matters….your individual happiness."
(taken from thrashermagazine.com, Nov. 14, 2007)

Yes, pro skateboarders are talented and smart. They've found something they're passionate about. They've worked hard to develop it. They've overcome all the obstacles put in their way. They continued to learn and master new things. And they have achieved their dream.

To Your Success,
Susan

P.S. Please leave a comment or rate this tip. Thanks


Tags: , , , , , , , , ,


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]