Thursday, August 10, 2006

We Don't Learn Japanese to Drive a Toyota


At some point we're all newbies at something. Fortunately when I
was just starting my online business I discovered the
Newbie Club and that's where I've gotten today's tip. If you
haven't yet checked out Joe Robson's club I highly recommend you
do. It's been a highly recognized and respected site for around
6 years and membership is free. And please don't think it's 1 of
those "fad" freebie sites popping up all over because it's not.
There's a lot of content inside Joe's membership area and
newsletter. - Susan


We Don't Learn Japanese to Drive a Toyota


By Joe Robson

Some time ago I wrote a Direct Mail Package and full page
magazine ad for an International Database Developer Software
company. What's that? Well I didn't know either. It is so
technical it took me a week to translate their existing sales
literature from 'Techie-Speak' into English.

Their literature was written and aimed at very technically
minded people. Computer Programmers in particular.

However, I wrote the new sales messages in 'layman's language'.
Why?

Because even technical people don't always understand everything
technical. And tomorrow's 'Techie' is today's 'Newbie'. And
TODAY'S customer.

Sales increased by 400%.

I'll repeat that - 400%. Does that tell you anything besides the
fact that I like to show off?

------ What does that tell us?

Maybe it tells us that 'Techies' also understand

'Newbie-Speak' but not the other way round.

Here's an ezine Ad I came across from a 'Techie' who has never
heard the word 'Newbie'.........

####

XYZ Jukebox is integrated digital music-management software for
the home. It combines a CD ripper,MP3 encoder, play list maker,
ID3 tag editor, and media player in one package. CD audio is
digitally extracted and encoded directly to MP3 format with no
intermediary WAV file, using Xing MPEG encoding technology.

####

Hmmm I wonder if it would play music CD's on my computer....

The point I'm making is that this piece of software may make a
great deal of difference to my lifestyle. If I knew what it was
I may well be tempted to buy it!

I am reminded of an experience some years ago when I ventured
out to buy a new Hi-Fi system. You've been there.

I visited FOUR stores and was blinded with science by 17 year
old 'sales executives' with fluff on their chins, whose sole
purpose in life seemed to be to exhibit their superior knowledge
about electronics. Sub Whoofer? I want music, not an aquatic
Rottweiller!

I finally came across a PROFESSIONAL salesman who asked me what
I WANTED from a Hi-Fi, and demonstrated a system that SUITED MY
NEEDS. He made a $1500 sale to a Hi-Fi Newbie in 10 minutes.

The fact that when I got it home I couldn't understand the
Manual wasn't his fault! It was written in 'Techie-Speak'!

------ Everyone was a Newbie once.

This wide spread use of Jargon on the Web is the very reason Tom
Glander and I set up The Newbie Club at

http://www.newbieclub.com


It's a brand new concept designed to teach PC and Internet
Newbies the basics of using computers and the Web. Because they
were blinded by Techie-Speak by the salesperson, and
confounded by the same language in their user manual!

Using the unique Newbie Club Learning System, the products and
the site itself are 100% free of Jargon and technical terms of
any kind.

In fact the System is so unique and successful it's being used
by Banks, Computer Societies, and individuals alike.

So remember this before you write your Sales Copy.....

Just because your product is 'technical', don't assume that it's
the language your readers prefer - or even understand.

They don't.

They want to know what the BENEFIT of your advanced technology
is going to do for them.

In English .... In Newbieish .... In Anyish.

But not in Gibberish!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joe Robson is author of Make Your Words SELL! co-authored by Ken
Evoy. Joe and Tom Glander are Co-Founders of The Newbie Club
which is bulging with revolutionary Internet and PC Newbie
tutorials. CLICK ON OVER to http://www.newbieclub.com and look at their very
professional Affiliate Program. It's BIG! Joe's Copywriting site
is at http://www.adcopywriting.com


========================================


I hope you enjoyed and learned something from today's tip. And
if you ever find Techie Gibberish in this newsletter - Please
let me know!


To Your Success,
Susan