Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Product Without A Market

On Monday I downloaded a video tutorial product on how to use the popular web host administration software, Cpanel. And since I use Cpanel to manage my sites and don't know that much about it I was excited to view the videos because I wanted to learn how to "use cPanel's bigger features to take your business to the next level of success." (A quote from the sales page.)

My reaction after watching the few videos over the the topics I wanted to know about most was... disappointment and then confusion.

You see, 99% of the information on these videos is given freely in the video instructions provided by my hosting service. The 3 primary differences in the purchased videos and the Cpanel webhost instruction videos are:

  1. The purchased videos have audio while the webhost instruction videos have caption boxes that must be read.

  2. There are a few little tidbits of new information such as, check with your hosting company about size limitations on complete backups. Evidentially backing up a large site may exceed some hosting company's limitations and your site could be shut down for exceeding the limit.

  3. The purchased videos did show the correct sequence for doing a task like moving a mySQL database from one host to another. So while the actual Cpanel mySQL instructions could be found in the webhost instruction videos the purchased video showed me the order to do things if I wanted to move my database.

Now I must admit that I am still disappointed since I don't feel like I learned to use cPanel's bigger features to take my business to the next level of success and now I am wondering why they were created.

My first thought was that some value was added to the free information so this product was created to fill a need in some niche market. So I did some market research.

Using the free Nichbot keyword tool I discovered that there was a daily average of 112 searches for cpanel for the last 100 days (good) and there are over 7 million sites found for that search term (really bad). So I dug down to find a possible search phrase. Unfortunately I could not identify any phrase that had a decent number of searches, a fair amount of competition and could be correctly used for this product.

I then tried several other words and phrases and still couldn't identify any keywords or phrases that could be used to get some search engine traffic looking for information provided in this product.

Still thinking it was me and my lack of knowing what niche market this product was created for I decided to checkout the competition at ClickBank. Would you believe I found a total of 4 products across all categories when I searched for Cpanel? I tried some other product related searches and found either no products or products that had nothing to do with web host administration except for those selling web hosting service.

Now I am sure this product will get sold to a few however I doubt that anyone will make very much since most of the information is freely available and there doesn't appear to be much of a market for this type of information. And that's why I'm confused.

Since it took time to make and market these videos and since time is money, why would an experienced internet marketer waste their time doing it. And yes, this product was created by an experienced internet marketer. He just didn't put his name on it.

Oh well, at least 2 good things came from those videos:

  1. An example of how to make a product where there isn't much of a market.

  2. I found a video that emphasizes how some waste their time doing harm to those who don't deserve it.



To Your Success,
Susan

P.S. In case you're wondering if I asked for a refund the answer is no because I didn't buy the product. I got it from a membership site where I get lots of new products every month.

Also, if you're interested in some free Cpanel video tutorials become a free member of this site because there are 29 available to all free members.

Please leave a comment or rate this tip. Thanks


Tags: , , , , ,


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]