Wednesday, August 22, 2007

An Old Business Secret Many Have Forgotten

You've probably heard that it's much easier and less expensive to get existing customers to buy from you than it is to go find new customers.

And it's a true statement for all businesses whether they are on or off-line.

Yet many businesses take the approach that getting new customers is their number 1 priority. They actively seek out those interested in their wares, entice them to buy and then after they make the sale...

They treat them like D.I.R.T.

D - Disposable
I - Insignificant
R - Removable
T - Trivial

One of the things that has always confused and irritated me is how some businesses penalize their customers for their loyalty.

Here's an example of what I mean -

We used to live in the Denver, CO metro area and subscribed to both of the Denver newspapers. (Yes, there used to be 2 large, popular newspapers in Denver.) Almost every year we received notices that the subscription rates were going up. This went on for several years and we didn't think much about it since it seemed the price of just about everything was always going up.

Then 1 day I received a sales call for 1 of the newspapers. Like most telemarketing phone calls, they went through their entire sales pitch and offered me a "special rate" if I would subscribe before I had a chance to tell them I was already a subscriber. When I did tell them I was a subscriber they thanked me for subscribing and were just about to hang up when I asked - "Since I am already a subscriber can I get the special rate?"

This question seemed to shock them when they stuttered, "no."

I then asked them why not and their response was that the special deal was only for "new" subscribers.

Since the special deal was for more than 60% off the normal subscription price of several hundred dollars a year, I was, shall we say, slightly perturbed.

When we hung up I immediately called the subscription department for the paper and asked them about getting the discount that new subscribers were getting. They also stated that I couldn't because it was "only for new subscribers."

As soon as they finished the statement about only new subscribers getting the discount, I replied, "I see, then cancel my subscription - TODAY."

Did I ever take that paper again? Yes, 1 year at a time.

You see, I knew that every 6 months there was a subscription drive to get new subscribers. And even if I didn't get a phone call, I'd see a table set up at any of the grocery stores I visited where I could get a new subscription with a new subscriber discount. Plus, if I signed up at 1 of these tables, I'd get an additional gift.

Now I'm not opposed to giving gifts to get new subscribers. I do it myself. What does upset me is having a business that I'm paying on a regular basis tell me I have to pay more because I am already 1 of their customers.

To this day I don't understand why that newspaper and many other businesses treat their loyal customer base so badly.

The point I am trying to make is: while you're working so hard to gain new subscribers and customers, treat your existing subscribers and customers like the precious gems they are. Don't forget about them and don't penalize them.

As online marketers we are always looking for new and better ways of doing things so we can increase our profits. We look for ways to increase our traffic and ways to increase our conversion rates. We look for ways to build our lists and then for ways to get more of our subscribers to buy from us. Unfortunately, some of us forget that making our loyal subscribers and customers feel special is 1 of the best ways to keep and profit from them.

Over the years I've offered several different free gifts to gain new subscribers. However, when I put the gift online I also either send out a mailing to my list giving them the same gift or make it available inside the member area. When I've sent a mailing about the addition of a bonus on an existing sale, I've included information about how those who had already purchased the product it could also get the free bonus.

Am I obligated to give my existing subscribers and customers the new free gift. No, it's not an obligation. It's just good business.

Uunfortunately, too many businesses have forgotten the old business practice of: take care of your customers and they will take care of you.

To Your Success,
Susan

P.S. Please feel free to leave a comment about today's tip.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,